Andy's 1/24 VW mkiv Golf

Post your questions, news, reviews, and talk about Turnigy / Sinohobby Micro and Mini vehicles.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Andy's 1/24 VW mkiv Golf

Postby Andy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:57 pm

I looked forever for a model of my car with no luck. I gave up actually. I stumbled across this kit eventually- i'm not sure what "V5" refers to as these cars are the fourth generation of their body style and are commonly called the "mk4" generation Golf/Jetta. I think that made my search more difficult. Needless to say I was thrilled when I found this model. Had to get it shipped from Japan, then found one stateside as a backup.
I ordered the Sinohobby Mini Q months ago but got held up by the Chinese new year.
I had to order the rear gear that extends the wheelbase to 102mm elsewhere. I wish it got 1-2mm longer to match the model but it'll do! Width is perfect! I was going to make custom arms and dogbones for my RallyX to narrow the heck out of it, but this is way easier ;)
I found some wheels that are fairly close to mine. Had to get those speed from Japan as well. Lots of cool stuff in Japan...
Here's what I'm going for:
The plastic motor mount came with a cracked piece- Banggood has great CS and I'm sure they would send a replacement but I'm just going to pick up the aluminum one. More waiting, but it'll take me a while to paint the model and mount it and whatnot.
I really like the car other than that. $80 (no tx/rx). It's compatible with a lot Mini-Z parts, such as one-way front diffs and rear ones specifically for drifting, which is what I'll be using this for.
Last edited by Andy on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy
Forum Addict

Re: Andy's 1/24 Golf

Postby Dialed_In » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:18 pm

The car looks really close to the real one. Are you going to tint the windows?
Dialed_In

Postby Andy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:31 pm

I'd like to, but I'm not very experienced painting and modeling. I've read that smoke/Tint paint is tricky. Maybe one day.
Andy
Forum Addict

Postby Andy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:31 am

The aluminum motor mount is out of stock for 2 weeks or so, plus 3 weeks shipping. That's a long wait, so I whipped up a little aluminum bracket to replace the broken part. This piece is pulled from each end by the mount so no wonder this cheap plastic part broke! All good now. That extra tab is unnecessary.

I noticed the servo horn had a split in the plastic as well. I got a pile of SM22 servos a while back for a steal so I threw one in, I run them without a saver and have yet to have a problem so this little drifter should be no problem for it. The servo mount needed a little shaving, but fits great! I ordered another one of the mounts for my TBG buggy since it wraps around the servo like a glove and screws in with 3 screws, which will hold much better than any tape. I don't like the affect the mush from the servo tape has on the steering on that one.
I can't stand using a separate esc and receiver on micros so I swapped the electronics for the DSMR board from the RallyX/SCTE. I think I'll have enough room to use some of the interior this way.
Andy
Forum Addict

Postby Dialed_In » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:40 am

The servo holder you mentioned ooks like it would hold well. I could only find the aluminum version. http://www.banggood.com/SINOHOBBY-Mini- ... 34960.html

FWIW, Kamaka71 would use servo tape and then use a hot glue gun to stick the servo to the chassis and keep it from moving.
Dialed_In

Re: Andy's 1/24 VW mkiv Golf

Postby Andy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:44 pm

Got some parts (from Japan of course). Front one way diff and solid rear for drifting. SCTE/rally x esc and battery. It's like a losi micro rally and a kyosho mini-z had a baby.
Andy
Forum Addict

Postby mr.t-1996 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:34 am

How are you liking that platform? How's the build quality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brushless micro rally
Lipoed micro highroller
mr.t-1996
Forum Addict

Postby Andy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:40 am

Really impressed for the cost. I really bought it as a platform to build a scale car since the losi micros are too wide for a 1/24th scale model, and the Kyosho mini-z are a little pricey.
I do not have a mini-z or Turnigy tz4 or atomic version of this car so I can't give a fair comparison against those. Compared to the losi micros, the suspension is stiffer and less independent, but that's not a bad thing for a scale on-road car.
It's laid out similar to the 1/24 Losi's except the battery and servo are switched. Lots of aftermarket differential options, as well as wheels and tires (which are smaller and more scale to a 1/24 model).
I've really only driven it once without a shell on though. I've been tied up with another project and was waiting on parts.
Andy
Forum Addict

Postby BrakeWeight » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:39 am

Cool project. You've convinced me to get one of the Mini Q now. I, too, have grown tired of not being able to scale the LMRally with a body.

Ima a fan of the VW and this build is fantastic. I've got a 1.8t GLI and love that money pit.

#CamBrady2017
BrakeWeight
Noob

Postby Andy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:37 am

Someone made 3d printed arms that are designed to use the micro T dogbones:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/XG49N2 ... =affiliate

Here's the thread:
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81476

I picked some of these up but haven't messed with them yet, so I cannot comment, but I plan to narrow my drift rally and slap a beetle body on it.
It will still be quite a bit wider than the Mini-Z/Mini-Q/TZ4 setup though.

I need to work on this one, been distracted with mini's and crawlers.
Andy
Forum Addict

Postby BrakeWeight » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:22 am

That's now on my list. Thanks. At 85mm it opens up more bodies for sure and adds lots more scale appeal.
BrakeWeight
Noob

Postby mikerob123 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:24 am

I just ordered one of these myself. Had to relocate for work and don't do anything, so I figured I should start an RC build.
mikerob123
MTF Elite

Return to Turnigy / Sinohobby Micro and Mini