Metal dif Gear Review New pics!

User submitted review's for Black Star Hobbies!

Metal dif Gear Review New pics!

Postby angelicgundam90 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:40 pm

Introduction
As we add more power our micros;wither it be lipos or brushless motors the biggest annoyance is the stock plastic gears. The stock plastic gears just cant handle the power of lipos and brushless motors. This leads to lots of time and money spent switching out plastic diffs instead of driving. Black Star Hobbies acknowledged this problem and paired up with GPM to finally give us a solution, Metal Diff Gears!

Kits contents

Obviously the star of this package is the new steel ring gears but lets not forget what else this comes with. You get a full diff overhaul! new everything plus shims!
1 x Molded Delrin Main Gear
4 x Bronze Bevel Gears (Spider Gears)
2 x Steel bevel Gear Connectors
2 x Stainless Steel Bearings 3 x 6
2 x Steel Ring Gears
2 x Stainless Steel Diff Joint
4 x 0.01mm Alloy Washers
Having shims in the package is a huge plus you really need these when running a ball bearing gearbox. Another huge plus is the Delrin main gear. i have always prefered Delrin to abs especially for small pieces. Delrin has high stiffness, low friction, abrasion resistance, low wear and is solvent and fuel resistance,important if your in a bind and put whatever grease you can find into your gearbox. :lol:

Set up/Installation
Stock gearbox
Putting this in the stock gear box couldn't be easier. it is literally plug and play. i was hoping to have more to say but i really cant say much more, i think thats a good thing :wink:

taken after stock set up had 12 pack through it

Using It
Set up: Stock Gear Box
Stock motor
2s 180 mah lipo
no shims in gear box

I was astonished at how big of a difference the steel gears made. At first i thought that i wouldn't really notice a big difference using a stock set up but the results really impressed me. Overall the steel ring gears made for a much smoother drive. The thing that really impressed me is that this finally silenced my gear box! i have had a problem in the past with a noisy gear box it sounded like a crunching noise almost. i didn't do anything but drop in the new diff and poof the "chatter" is gone(my wife especially appreciated that :roll: lol).

I also noticed a much smoother differential action. Similar to others(JoeyBlaze in particular) this solved the slight pull to one side(torque turn) under acceleration that required constant steering input to correct. that is gonna be really nice for high speed runs and set ups. i really need to get one of these for my blue groove micro

The other great thing is so far i see no wear and tear on the spider gears. i was a little worried about the steel ring gears wearing the spider gears out faster but so far so good! (can be seen in 3rd picture). the real test will be the 3s lipo & brushless :twisted:

Complete review and pictures on the way!
Last edited by angelicgundam90 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:11 am, edited 13 times in total.
so many micros so little money :D
angelicgundam90
Forum Addict

Postby PainTrain » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:47 am

First. Can't wait.

Longest review ever. lol
PainTrain
Site Admin

Postby angelicgundam90 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:49 am

lol sorry pain! i had a 5k on sunday but i will be working on this until i have to goto work at 11 and when i get home. i've spent lots of time testing instead of writing :lol:
angelicgundam90
Forum Addict

Postby tokin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:15 pm

look good quality.. so the main gear on this is delrin and the stock is styrene?

how much thicker are the outdrives compared to stock? thanks..
turn off the tv!!
tokin
Forum Addict

Postby joeyblaze » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:45 pm

nice review and sick high res pics
joeyblaze
Site Admin

Postby angelicgundam90 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:28 am

thanks joey! the little piece of hair in the 2nd pic is driving me nuts! maybe i can photo shop it out :lol:

@tokin
they are pretty much the same size from the tip of the teeth to the other end stock is ~4.8mm and the steel are ~4.7mm. at that point u are splitting hairs. take those measurements with a grain of salt i just have a cheap pair of calipers.
angelicgundam90
Forum Addict

Postby dracen420 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:22 pm

angelicgundam90 wrote:thanks joey! the little piece of hair in the 2nd pic is driving me nuts! maybe i can photo shop it out :lol:

that hair is driving me nuts too. :P
Get a job. Go to work. Get married.
Have children. Follow Fashion.
Act normal. Walk on the pavement.
Watch TV. Obey the law.
Save for your old age.

Now repeat after me:
"I AM FREE'
dracen420
MTF Elite

Postby Rabiddavid » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:32 pm

That hair kept me awake last night.... I woke up at 3 am and had to vacuum the entire house just in case ;)
Rabiddavid

Postby tokin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:17 pm

i gonna sneak round and clean your diff joey!

these diffs are better quality in everyway to what you make yourself..
turn off the tv!!
tokin
Forum Addict

Re: Metal dif Gear Review New pics!

Postby rikardob » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:46 pm

This may sound silly, but if I buy one of these, are the 4 included washers the, "shims," and what do I do with them? I'm running through differentials like water over here.
rikardob

Re: Metal dif Gear Review New pics!

Postby Dialed_In » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:50 pm

rikardob wrote:This may sound silly, but if I buy one of these, are the 4 included washers the, "shims," and what do I do with them? I'm running through differentials like water over here.

Welcome rikardob!

It says the kit comes with the shims. Here is how to. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=11757

Shimming is only really necessary if you have an aluminum ball bearing gearbox.

If you want to make your own metal diff have a look here. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13129

How to disassemble, clean are reassemble the diff. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2755

Slipper order. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10200
Dialed_In

Return to Black Star Hobbies: Product Reviews