Andy's TMC/sporty rig

Post the custom original Micro Rock Crawler builds that you're working on. Keep us updated with pictures as your progress on your project.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Andy's TMC/sporty rig

Postby Andy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:58 am

Jim's TMC tube chassis (http://shpws.me/McPg)

Losi Micro Baja body is a perfect fit, once trimmed up. Might throw a shell on it, haven't decided yet.

Got it painted

Haven't made links yet, but here's a few mocked up shots

The stance is wide enough to put the battery and servo side-by-side on the front axle. Electronics on the rear. I'll making some homemade knuckle weights at each corner, similar to the 3d sketches by Dravpnir in this thread, post 14:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-micro-rock-crawler/553445-dravpnir-tries-build-something-micro-again.html

Also working on some cvd axles
They are made from Redcat Sumo truck (not the crawler) cvd axles. These would probably work in a stock knuckle/ c-hub as pictured, just with the bearings swapped to thin bushings, and slightly trimming the c-hub "ears", but I'm going to try to make some new knuckles with larger bearings to fit these and weights built in. All in time though.
Andy
Forum Addict

Re: Andy's TMC/sporty rig

Postby Artur Fischer » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:44 pm

really cool!!
waiting to see it done.
DT 2.4GHz 2S
Highroller 5300KV 2S
Tamiya M04L

and always loading a build..

Nobody breath!! I lost a c-clip.
Artur Fischer
Forum Addict

Postby Andy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:49 pm

Got the plates made for the axles, the rear will hold the electronics, battery and servo on the front.
Andy
Forum Addict

Postby Andy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:45 am

I got it rolling. I need to shorten and tidy up wiring, swap connectors on the battery I'll be using, make some weights for the corners, and cover threaded rod. It also needs more power. I've been using 130 motors for a while now and going back to a 100t stock can isn't cutting it anymore. This chassis is tiny, so I'm not sure a 130 will fit, but a dual motor setup will for sure. Went with a cased esc for protection from the many upcoming rollovers- and subsequent throttling out of it.

Andy
Forum Addict

Postby Andy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:04 am

I have been using rigs with 130 motors for quite some time, and I dug a 100 turn stock sized motor out of the bin for this, but it just didn't feel the same. I didn't think the big block would fit, but it does- barely. The motor fits snugly against the chassis, and that is with the tranny case shaved. I want really low gearing, I use an 11/59 combo in my specter and would do the same if it would fit, but there's no way. By shaving the transmission case right up to the gears I managed to get a 13 tooth pinion to mesh.
Carbon 130 motor plate. Easier to work with (with hand tools/dremel) than metal, and saves 2.5 grams compared to the stock steel plate.
[URL=http://s1235.photobucket.com/user/TownsendTDI/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160709_005356.jpg.html]Image
Image[/URL]

Center of gravity checks out.

Need to limit the suspension a little. I have some trekker bump stops (that's why you remove them and not cut them off ;-) ) but that would raise it since its full droop so I'll have to do it internally. Or maybe micro t rear shafts.

I had to put the rear upper links outside of the chassis for the 130 motor but it's still pretty narrow, I don't think they will get hung up much. Probably a good thing as my driveshaft was almost rubbing the links before.
Now just need to tidy wiring and make some weights!
Andy
Forum Addict

Postby Dialed_In » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:18 pm

Holy smokes! Would you look at the articulation!

Your crawler reminds me of the green machine trikes they had when I was a kid.
Dialed_In

Postby crazyfreak204 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:55 pm

Holy crap man ur rigs are off the hook !!!!!! you out did yourself yet again !!!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
crazyfreak204
Noob

Postby Andy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:10 pm

Thanks crazyfreak

I got sidetracked with other projects and have not made the knuckle weights yet. Those pin tires have very thick rubber and don't flex much without a lot of weight. I found some much thinner pin tires to try, but for now I stole scrambler/wagon wheels from another rig. This thing is sooo light so I added some extra lead weights in the wheels temporarily. The wiring is still a mess, but it's getting remade into MOA with Basher Rocksta axles soon so I won't worry about it.
A little video at my crawling spot, it's certainly more capable than my Specter crawler.

https://youtu.be/qYc47rwyrfA
Andy
Forum Addict

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:02 am

I picked up one of the Basher Rocksta kits from Hobbyking when they were $15 for a set of axles. The metal gears for the axles cost more than the whole kit :)

I'll be using an esc for each axle with a Futaba transmitter for dual esc mixing. Shortened wires and smashed the electronics into a little bundle.

Made a tiny 4 link plate that mounts where the stock 3 link mounts.

The pin tires in the first pictures aren't awesome- the tire carcass is way too thick. I have some tires on my Mini SCT that I think will work much better. They are much thinner/flexible and almost feel sticky. They are made for a wheel with a larger inside diameter, so I cut the halves apart and reattached them with two matching sidewalls.

Micro Voodoos! They'll be mounted on skinny wheels so they will look a little taller and narrower than that.
Andy
Forum Addict

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:06 am

Dig/burn test

http://vid1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff437/TownsendTDI/20161215_204243_1.mp4

Got my wheels finished.

Basher Rocksta axle bearings- for 2 axles you need 8 2.5x6x2.5mm and 8 3x6x2.5mm. Replacing the 16 bushings with bearings makes a huge difference.

There are 2 tricky ones in the center of the axle.

One behind that big bearing (it's the only bearing that comes stock)

Knuckles and c-hubs (3x6x2.5mm ones go in the knuckles)

Andy
Forum Addict

Return to 1:24 Crawler-Projects & Builds