Pinion gear swap

Show original modifications and customizations that you've completed for the Losi Micro SCT / Rally (not pre-made hop-ups). Provide How To directions that can help others improve their rides.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Pinion gear swap

Postby hazzard » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:24 am

hello all.
Ive had my scte for a little bit now and its been a great little truck, ive been tinkering with it and now I feel a gear change is nessesary, so I bought both pinion gear sets from the toyz 10-17. does the factory pinion just pull off of the motor shaft? I pryed it a little and the pinion didn't budge but the motor shaft pulled thru. I pushed it back and it seems fine. I don't see anything that would hold it on, and I don't want to break it. what's the trick?
thanks.
hazzard
Noob

Re: Pinion gear swap

Postby Dialed_In » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:37 pm

If your motor has the brass pinion you almost need a pinion puller to get it off without damaging the motor. See the link below for a couple ideas. You can also google homemade pinion puller for ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=19658&p=208859&hilit=remove+brass+pinion#p208859
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=19366&p=205808&hilit=remove+brass+pinion#p205808

If you have the plastic pinion it should pull off fairly easily. If it is damaged it cut off with side cutters. Since your shaft has already pulled out you going to have to be careful and hold the can together. When your finished you can shoe goo or epoxy the end of the cans to the side of the can to keep it from falling apart. Don't get any glue on the shaft, bearings or any holes that lead inside the motor.
Dialed_In

Re: Pinion gear swap

Postby badmed1c1ne » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:01 pm

If you want to get the brass pinion's off and don't mind losing it, cut it off with side cutters
badmed1c1ne

Return to 1:24 AWD-Mods and How-To's