NQD Tear Into RC Jet Boat

Talk about any RC-related topics here. This is a good place to ask for RC help for vehicles other than Micro-Ts.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby soldout » Fri May 27, 2016 12:58 pm

This is my NQD Tear Into Jet Boat that I plan on turning into a rescue boat for when I flip my Little Pepper since it has no self righting.

I just got it today and have not played with it yet but I have a feeling it will eventually get modded and will have a 2.4 brushless setup at some point but for now I just really needed a rescue boat because the Little Pepper is too much fun and I know I will be flipping it a lot. Reviews say that this is a toy grade boat that ia juat a brushless setup away from being a true performer.

This is a true jet boat in that it has no exposed propeller everything is internal with a bottom water pickup and a vent to direct the water stream out of the jet. Because of this many people use these in shallow creeks and streams crawling up current over the obsticals in the water.

soldout
Forum Addict

Re: NQD Tear Into RC Jet Boat

Postby soldout » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:43 pm

These boats are notorious for leaking and mines leaks so bad I ripped the jet out and now Im probably going to just do a brushless less swap so I can get everything back together and get a good seal around the jet cut outs. So now I am researching different setups for this boat. I dont think I will be out boating anytime soon with either of these 2 boats since this was supposed to be the rescue boat for my Little Pepper, Im not going back in that water :lol:

soldout
Forum Addict

Postby soldout » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:36 pm

I think I bought everything I need to convert this boat to brushless. The motor coupler is coming from China so I dont know how long that will take sometimes parts show up in a week other times it takes a month. i will update this thread as parts start arriving.

i have the boat completely gutted, I stuffed the nose with styrofoam from the packing, plan on keeping the stock antenna length for now and attaching the 2.4 antenna wire to the stock wire, trimmed off all the casting lines on the jet, made new gaskets for the jet and nozzle. I plan on sealing the jet with shoe glue and possibly attaching carbon fiber strips on the inside of the hull for some reinforcement.
soldout
Forum Addict

Postby Artur Fischer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:02 pm

Hi, do you plan modding the water pick up?
DT 2.4GHz 2S
Highroller 5300KV 2S
Tamiya M04L

and always loading a build..

Nobody breath!! I lost a c-clip.
Artur Fischer
Forum Addict

Postby soldout » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:32 pm

Artur, I plan on adding a screen to keep out tiny rocks and debris from entering the jet intake. But as far as modding the jet no, so far I don't plan on modding anything this will simply be a brushless/2.4 conversion.

I just checked the tracking on my Hydra 1 Phantom and its already in New York. I should have this by next week :banana:
soldout
Forum Addict

Postby soldout » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Some parts showed up today

Spektrum SR210 RX
Hobbywing 30A Brushless ESC
Hobbywing program card
Savox SW-0250MG Waterproof servo
Lepord Hobby 2845 2960KV brushless motor
Lepord Hobby water cooling jacket
6ft of water cooling line
soldout
Forum Addict

Postby soldout » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:11 pm

Got some work done on the boat today. Mounted the motor to the jet unit, mounted the servo, mounted the RX on top of the servo but trimmed down the posts a little, bound and tested all electronics, installed water pick up in jet nozzle, install cooling lines and install water outlet. I just need the motor coupler so I can install the jet drive and water proof the hull. The water pickup is from a piece of aquarium air line connector, its slotted in the front to pickup more water. I also added a ziptie around the socket for the nozzle steering bracket, it is very thin on the inside corner.

url=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/SoldOut720/media/IMG_20160618_202238_zpsxmks43mu.jpg.html]Image[/url]
soldout
Forum Addict

Postby soldout » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:16 pm

Shoe Glued the heck out of the exhaust pipes and tested them for water tightness and also added foam around the edges of the cutout to help keep water from entering the hull through the battery access cover.

soldout
Forum Addict

Postby soldout » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:04 pm

Motor coupler has arrived. I think that is it, I have everything I need to at least get this boat back together and test all the spots that are prone to leaking. Once I know everything is good I can start figuring out the recovery setup for the Little Pepper.

soldout
Forum Addict

Postby soldout » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:33 pm

Made a more sturdy debris filter for the jet out of some plastic coated paper clips to replace the cheap plastic filter the boat comes with.

soldout
Forum Addict

Postby soldout » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:43 pm

I am in the process of sleeving the bearing journal in the jet drive for the propeller shaft, the factory setup is just a hole drilled through the jet housing. The propeller shaft fits perfectly inside the first antenna section from the stock Losi radio, how convenient.

soldout
Forum Addict

Postby soldout » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:41 am

Very short day for me so after work I came home and finished the insert for the propeller shaft.

soldout
Forum Addict

Postby soldout » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:12 pm

I've got about 2 or 3 coats of Shoe Goo sealing the jet drive to the hull. I've tested the boat for about the 6th time. I filled the sink up with water and put the boat in and took a shower. Its more water tight then a frogs butthole.

soldout
Forum Addict

Postby soldout » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:50 pm

Had the boat out for a test and it did great, forgot to seal the antenna so that leaked a bunch of water into the boat. I moved the ESC to the other side of the boat and made a 2nd battery location for testing. I cut a piece from a Dell laptop cover and attached it to the bottom of the battery cover and added more foam. It fits nice and tight and should be pretty water tight.
soldout
Forum Addict

Postby BrakeWeight » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:35 pm

I put my esc and Rx as far forward as I could and then put Velcro all around the jet pump. Then you can weight it and level it accordingly with batteries or whatever. I've got some small iron flatbar with Velcro on it I'll use, too.

#CamBrady2017
BrakeWeight
Noob

Return to RC Lounge