Slot Cars (And Questions!)

Talk about any non-RC topics here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Slot Cars (And Questions!)

Postby mikerob123 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:19 pm

RC cars and slot cars are like cousins...I assume at least someone on here has experience with them!

I broke out our old slot car track in my boredom, but I can't get it to work properly. It seems like it's way underpowered. I've checked the track connections, replaced the brushes on my slot car, and it still seems underpowered.

Does anyone have any idea? It's a track from Artin, and it used to work flawlessly. It's not battery powered, it plugs into the wall.
mikerob123
MTF Elite

Re: Slot Cars (And Questions!)

Postby Dialed_In » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:21 pm

I haven't been around slot cars since I was a kid. That was a long time ago. Try searching for slot car troubleshooting.
Dialed_In

Postby mikerob123 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:44 am

Hey Dialed,

I did a lot of trouble shooting but I can't seem to get anything other than "Did you replace the brushes? Is the track connected well? Is it plugged into a good outlet?"

I'm not home anymore so I'll continue to do research into it, maybe I can get it running smoothly again by Christmas.
mikerob123
MTF Elite

Postby accmt » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Slot cars run on DC voltage supplied by the track. Connect a battery (same voltage) directly to the car's brushes, and see if it spins quickly. If so it's your track and if not then it's your car.

If it's your track, first take a penny and rub all along the metal track surface to get rid of the corrosion. Then try again. If it's still weak, take a voltmeter and measure various points until you find where the track connection is bad. Then just clean/replace that part of the track.

If it's your car, then remove the brushes and connect directly to the motor. If it is slow then replace the motor. Otherwise, clean the connections to the brushes.
accmt
Site Admin

Postby Dialed_In » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:45 am

I thought I remember the penny trick but didn't know if it had to be copper (pre 1982) or not. I also remember wiping rubbing alcohol to the car's metal plates and perhaps even the track.

Strange coincidence but I saw a slot car PC game in my emails today. http://store.steampowered.com/app/288650/
Dialed_In

Postby accmt » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:44 am

I don't think it matters if the penny is pure copper or copper-coated, since only the copper surface is touching the track anyway. In my opinion, pennies are used because they are softer than the track's steel, stamped to have a suitable roughness, and readily available. Any number of items (including nickels) would probably work just as well.

Alcohol definitely helps with the tires' grip, but doesn't do much for corrosion.

I like the idea of a slot-car simulator since I think the physics should be easy to reproduce and it would hopefully keep the fun of racing without the maintenance. If only it was multi-player :(
accmt
Site Admin

Postby Dialed_In » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:29 pm

Wow, I actually remember rubbing the alcohol on the tires but didn't mention it. I guess I remembered more than I thought. Not bad since it was around 30 years ago :?

The game is on sale for $4 here :mrgreen: http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/p ... imulation/
Dialed_In

Postby mikerob123 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:38 pm

Sweet, thanks you guys! I'll hopefully get it up and running properly over winter break.
mikerob123
MTF Elite

Return to Lounge